20+ Wonderful Milan Quotes & Captions to Inspire You
Are you looking for a quote about Milan to use as a photo caption for your Instagram feed? Or perhaps you are simply seeking inspiration to book your city break to Italy.
Dive into my hand-curated collection of Milan quotes that best reflect the nature of this elegant city.
Feel free to copy your favourite Milan caption and paste it into your Twitter, Instagram or Facebook post.
Some articles on this website contain affiliate links. This means that I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase through these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Famous Quotes about Milan, Italy
Let’s start with some of the best-known Milan quotes. From monarchs to movie stars, there is something for everyone.
1. My cousin Francis and I are in perfect accord – he wants Milan, and so do I. – King Charles V
2. Retire me to my Milan, where every third thought shall be my grave. – William Shakespeare
3. Milan is marvellous, picturesque, and full of elegance. –Wesley Sneijder, footballer
4. Because we would not wear any clothes because it was so hot and the windows open and the swallows flying over the roofs of the houses and when it was dark afterward and you went to the window very small bats hunting over the houses and close down over the trees and we would drink capri and the door locked and it hot and only a sheet and the whole night and we would both love each other all night in the hot night in Milan. That was how it ought to be. – Ernest Hemingway
5. Milan … is beautiful in fog, like a woman with a veil. – Ornella Vanoni, singer
6. I think about Milan from morning to night, and there is certainly no lack of effort and desire on my part. –Clarence Seedorf, footballer and manager
7. I love Milan, and I’m not just saying that. It’s a city that gives me a great sense of euphoria. I can’t explain why, but I feel a special energy there. – Shawn Mendes, singer
8. What is Milan’s character? Let’s not be closed in by our provincialism. – Franca Sozzani, journalist
9. Milan, for me, is a city of discovery. You can find some amazing gardens behind some great houses; I also love finding beautiful galleries and incredible shops, but you have to explore. And the food is amazing. – Francisco Costa, designer
10. In Italy, I am almost seen as German for my workaholism. Also I am from Milan, the city where people work the hardest. Work, work, work – I am almost German. –Silvio Berlusconi
11. I think of Milan every day, really. –David Beckham
12. In Milan, everything is regulated by money. They say “cappuccio” in bars instead of “cappuccino” to save a syllable. – Enzo Biagi, journalist
13. When I am at Rome I fast as the Romans do; when I am at Milan I do not fast. So likewise you, whatever church you come to, observe the custom of the place, if you would neither give offence to others, nor take offence from them. – Saint Ambrose
14. Milan. What a beautiful place to die. – John Carradine, actor
Milan Cathedral Quotes
The city is synonymous with the majestic Duomo di Milano. This Gothic cathedral is the third-largest in the world after that in Florence and Seville and its 135 spires and 2,444 marble saints have inspired these memorable Milan travel quotes.
15. I went daily to the cathedral of Milan, that singular mountain which was torn out of the rocks of Carrara. I saw the church for the first time in the clear moonlight; dazzlingly white stood the upper part of it in the infinitely blue ether. Round about, wherever I looked, from every corner, upon every little tower with which the building was, as it were, overlaid, projected marble figures. Its interior dazzled me more than St. Peter’s Church; the strange gloom, the light which streamed through the painted windows – the wonderful mystical world which revealed itself here – yes, it was a church of God! – The Improvisatore, Hans Christian Andersen
16. The fog was so dense here, that the spire of the far-famed Cathedral might as well have been at Bombay, for anything that could be seen of it at the time. But as we halted to refresh, for a few days then, and returned to Milan again next summer, I had ample opportunities of seeing the glorious structure in all its majesty and beauty. – Pictures from Italy, Charles Dickens,
Milan Quotes for Fashionistas
Milan is world-renowned as the epicentre of fashion and design and the city’s elegance, and that of its inhabitants have been the subject of many memorable quotes and captions.
17. In Paris, choosing a dress is a monumental decision. In Milan, it’s a kick. – Chris Dee
18. Milan is a true metropolis: strong and fearless but welcoming, too. Little by little, I came to realize that I could become someone here. –Giorgio Armani
19. Frankly, Milan kind of sucks as a restaurant city. It’s so fashion-obsessed that people don’t pay that much attention to the food. – Joe Bastianich, restaurateur
20. You would never see anyone go to a restaurant in Milan wearing a jumpsuit! – Mariacarla Boscono, model
21. I grew up in Perugia, Umbria, in a world outside of fashion, so I didn’t learn about it until I was older and moved away. In Milan, the women are really into fashion, and all the big fashion brands are based there, but I don’t think they feel pressure to look good all the time. – Monica Bellucci, actress
22. My favourite thing about Milan is that you see these guys, and it’s as if a spaceship came out of the most attractive planet invented and just dropped them off all across the city. – Brad Goreski, fashion stylist
Take a look at these next!
If you like these Milan captions and quotes, take a look at this set of Rome Quotes, these quotes about Naples, this set of Florence captions, these Italian food quotes, inspirational Italy captions, this group of Tuscany captions or these sayings about Venice.