Are you looking for a quote about Rome to use as a photo caption for your Instagram feed? Or perhaps you are simply seeking inspiration to book your next trip to Italy?
Well, you’re in luck. Over the millennia, the Eternal City has inspired poets, authors and thinkers to produce a vast number of memorable sayings about Rome.
From witty puns to profound quotes, here is my pick of the best Rome captions. Simply copy your favourite Rome quote and paste it into your Twitter, Instagram or Facebook post.
Some articles on this website contain affiliate links. This means that I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase through these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Famous Quotes about Rome
Let’s start with some of the best-known Rome quotes. From sayings by medieval monks to thoughts from world-famous writers, there is something to inspire everyone.
1. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. – St. Ambrose
2. All roads lead to Rome. – Alain de Lille
3. Rome is a place almost worn out by being looked at, a city collapsing under the weight of reference. – Graham Joyce
4. From the dome of St. Peter’s one can see every notable object in Rome. He can see a panorama that is varied, extensive, beautiful to the eye, and more illustrious in history than any other in Europe. – Mark Twain
5. Oh Rome! my country! city of the soul! – Lord Byron
6. I love Rome and the way that you can wander around and find something interesting around every street corner. You can smell the history. – Jonathan Agnew
7. Rome is one enormous mausoleum. There, the past lies visibly stretched upon his bier. There is no today or tomorrow in Rome; it is perpetual yesterday. – Thomas Bailey Aldrich
8. Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more. – William Shakespeare, Brutus from Julius Caesar
9. Methinks I will not die quite happy without having seen something of that Rome. – Sir Walter Scott
10. Rome will exist as long as the Coliseum does; when the Coliseum falls, so will Rome; when Rome falls, so will the world. – Saint Venerable Bede
Best Rome Quotes from the Movies
From Audrey Hepburn circling the Colosseum on a Vespa to Anita Ekberg frolicking in the Trevi Fountain, movies are a rich source of memorable quotes about Rome.
Here are a few of my favourites.
11. Rome is simply marvellous. A kind of jungle – humid and beautiful, loud at times, peaceful at others. It’s a place where you can hide behind the foliage. – La Dolce Vita
12. Each, in its own way, was unforgettable. It would be difficult to – Rome! By all means, Rome. I will cherish my visit here in memory as long as I live. – Roman Holiday
13. In ‘Roma,’ I wanted to get across the idea that underneath Rome today is ancient Rome. So close. I am always conscious of that, and it thrills me. Imagine being in a traffic jam at the Coliseum! Rome is the most wonderful movie set in the world… As was the case with many of my film ideas, it was inspired by a dream. – Federico Fellini
14. Marcus Aurelius: What is Rome, Maximus? Maximus: I’ve seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light. – Gladiator
Inspirational Rome Captions
I have chosen the next bunch of Rome captions to inspire you to visit the Eternal City. These words have been uttered and written down by those from all walks of life including novelists, celebrity chefs and even a famous England football manager.
15. In Rome one had simply to sit still and feel. – E. M. Forster
16. Rome was a poem pressed into service as a city. – Anatole Broyard
17. Rome holds my psyche in balance. Whenever I’m there, it’s like a holiday. – Giambattista Valli
18. Rome is the capital of Europe, it’s as simple as that. – Gino D’Acampo
19. There’s one thing that I like about Rome that was stated by Napoleon: that from sublime to pathetic is only one step away. And in Rome there’s a constant shifting between sublime and pathetic. – Paolo Sorrentino
20. They say Rome wasn’t built in a day, but I wasn’t on that particular job. – Brian Clough
21. There’s one thing that I like about Rome that was stated by Napoleon: that from sublime to pathetic is only one step away. And in Rome there’s a constant shifting between sublime and pathetic. – Paolo Sorrentino
22. Going around Rome, you can find beauty because, quite simply, Rome is very beautiful. But the beauty of the people is sometimes harder to discover. – Paolo Sorrentino
23. I am a sucker for those old traditional places, and Rome is as good as it gets, particularly when you throw in Italian food. – Roger Federer
24. Rome, the city where memories were chiselled in marble. – Elif Shafak
25. Rome – the city of visible history, where the past of a whole hemisphere see moving in funeral procession with strange ancestral images and trophies gathered from afar. – George Eliot
26. Italy will never be a normal country. Because Italy is Italy. If we were a normal country, we wouldn’t have Rome. We wouldn’t have Florence. We wouldn’t have the marvel that is Venice. – Matteo Renzi
27. Here was Rome indeed at last; and such a Rome as no one imagine in its full and awful grandeur! – Charles Dickens
28. The thing I love about Rome is that it has so many layers. In it, you can follow anything that interests you: town planning, architecture, churches, or culture. It’s a city rich in antiquity and early Christian treasures, and just endlessly fascinating. There’s nowhere else like it. – Claire Tomalin
29. Rome has not seen a modern building in more than half a century. It is a city frozen in time. – Richard Meier
30. I wanted to get across the idea that underneath Rome today is ancient Rome. So close. I am always conscious of that, and it thrills me. – Federico Fellini
Ancient Rome Captions
Today’s Romans walk in the footsteps of their ancestors. The Roman Empire started with Augustus Caesar in 27 BC and ended with the fall of Constantinople in 1453 AD.
The Ancient Romans were formidable philosophers and left behind some of the most memorable quotes about Rome.
31. I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble. – Augustus
32. Ancient Rome was as confident of the immutability of its world and the continual expansion and improvement of the human lot as we are today. – Arthur Erickson
33. The fall of Rome seemed unthinkable to people at the time but inevitable to historians reflecting upon it with the benefit of context. – Mary Pilon
34. Rome knew love, better than I ever could, so I let the city take her hand, and followed close behind, picking up the pieces of her melting heart. – Atticus
35. Rome has grown since its humble beginnings that it is now overwhelmed by its own greatness. – Titus Livius
36. The ancient Romans built their greatest masterpieces of architecture, their amphitheatres, for wild beasts to fight in. – Voltaire
37. I had rather be first in a village than second at Rome. – Julius Caesar
Quotes About the Trevi Fountain
Rome is known as much for its fountains as for its ancient ruins and Baroque churches. It is home to more than 300 monumental fountains, the most famous of which is the Trevi Fountain (Fontana di Trevi).
Completed in 1762, the Trevi Fountain had been in the making as early as 1453, planned to commemorate the restoration of Agrippa’s aqueduct by Nicholas V. It should be high up on your list of things to see in Rome.
Famously, it is said that if you throw a coin in the fountain, this will guarantee your return trip to Rome. All that I can say is that it has worked for me.
And you’ll be pleased to know that these coins are donated to Caritas, a Catholic charity based in Rome.
38. In Rome, I particularly love the history, churches, sculptures and architecture and the fact that you can walk along a tiny cobbled street and turn the corner to find the Trevi Fountain. London is evocative of other eras and full of history. – Philip Treacy
39. I’m having Trevi saying ‘goodbye’ to Rome (groan)
Rib-tickling Rome Puns for Photo Captions
Let’s lighten things up further with a few more corny Rome captions.
There are times when only a pun will do. Here’s my pick of the best humorous Rome captions.
40. Home sweet Rome.
41. Toga-ther we can rule the world.
42. Italy has Agrippa my heart.
43. Rome more, worry less.
44. Arch you glad you’re in Rome?
45. Just Roman around Italy
46. Italy is so Rome-antic
47. There’s no place like Rome
Rome Instagram Captions
Finally, if you are looking for short Rome quotes for Instagram, take a look at the selection below. Perfect for a caption for your Rome photo.
47. La dolce vita! (The sweet life)
48. La vita è bella (Life is beautiful)
49. Ciao bella (Hello beautiful)
50. Came to Rome for the sights, stayed for the gelato
51. Rome wasn’t built in a day
52. Italy has changed. But Rome is Rome. – Robert De Niro
53. I am walking through Rome. With my heart on a string. Dear God, please help me. – Morrissey
54. Rome is not like any other city. It’s a big museum, a living room that shall be crossed on one’s toes. – Alberto Sordi
55. I thought I knew everything when I came to Rome, but I soon found I had everything to learn. – Edmonia Lewis
56. I’m sure when they partied when Rome was burning, that was a really great party. – Adam McKay
57. A fool is one who admires other cities without visiting Rome. – Francesco Petrarca
58. Rome is the city of echoes, the city of illusions, and the city of yearning. – Giotto
60. If we could be reborn wherever we chose, how crowded Rome would be. – Francine Prose
61. In Rome, one had simply to sit still and feel. – E.M. Forster
62. To Rome, for everything. – Miguel de Cervantes
63. My happy place is anywhere with pizza and wine.
64. Only in Rome is it possible to understand Rome. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
65. You fall in love with Rome very slowly, little by little, but if it happens, it’ll be for a lifetime. – Nikolaj Gogol
66. Veni, Vidi, Vici. ― Julius Caesar
67. Rome is magic. – Maria Grazia Cucinotta